[78-L] Revised American Dance Band Discography

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jan 20 09:20:14 PST 2010

Han Enderman wrote:
> I am amazed there is no description of the work at all; only the price
> Does "on record and film" mean that broadcasts issued on LP/CD are absent?
> Is the last volume "indexes" only (which much better and with much more info could have been issued on a CD, or even made available free on the website)? Note that a digital index has no space limitations and can give us every tune title with recording date and band name, or the session dates by every sideman in chronological order.
> Also a release index (every record listed in the work, like in Hendersonia) would be highly useful and an important source for label studies.
> I assume everything will resemble JazzRecords-6, but do we get a useful lay-out now?
> Are LP/CD-only studio takes included?
> How much duplication with Jazz Records? Are California Ramblers small groups included?
> Why not sample pages?
>
> Han Enderman
===========
Why not contact the email address for answers to your questions and
suggestions?

As far as I'm aware, there won't be release details. Broadcasts issued
on LP/CD will be included. LP/CD studio takes will be included. The
small Kirkeby groups won't be included. The duplication with Jazz
Records is irrelevant.

The layout will be the standard JR/ADBD format, including artists' name
headers. It won't resemble JR6, which didn't have headers.

If I have a criticism of "Hendersonia", it's the minuscule print and the
interspersing of discography with narrative. It's quite a pain to find
anything. In most discographies if, say, I want to look up an artist's
recordings from 1934, I quickly flick through the pages until I find the
relevant year. With "Hendersonia", the chances are that you'll open the
book at narrative, and have to flick back and forth to find the discography.

I find it strange that there has been so much hostility to this new
work, which hasn't been shown towards other print-only discographies.

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4790 (20100120) __________

http://www.eset.com