[78-L] Fwd: recent finds

Bill McClung bmcclung78 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 18:46:48 PST 2010

Clifford (Boots) Douglas was born in Temple, Texas in 1908.  He was a
drummer and formed Boots and His Buddies in the early 30s.  As Mr. Simmons
has said, he recorded for Bluebird from 1935 to 1938.  I agree that these
recordings are not the most successful but I collect his records because his
is a San Antonio band and that is where I live. I've got 35 sides.  One side
was a reverse of a Tampa Red Bluebird.  I don't know if they are the worst
sides in the Rust because I haven't heard all the sides in the Rust but I'm
willing to guess they may be in the bottom ten.  He is mentioned in
Schuller's "Swing Era" but I'm not home so I can't tell you what he says.
If I remember correctly Schuller is a tad more generous in his evaluatoin.

The recording for Talent (708) seems to be his last 78 and would have
occured in the late 40s.  Boots moved to Los Angeles in 1950 and got a day
job.  He is thought to have died in LA in 2000 but this has not been
confirmed.