[78-L] Mel Henke on Tempo Records (was Brother Bones)

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Tue Jan 19 06:43:55 PST 2010

Label image of Tempo TR 442-A I Surrender Dear gives as personnel:
The Ultra-Modern Piano of
MEL HENKE
Milt Holland - Bongos
Mike Rubin - Bass.

Tempo 466 (!) is only by
The Ultra-Modern Piano of
MEL HENKE
with titles Pennies From Heaven / Cocky Cuckoo Clock (A Mel Henke Original).

Is this Henke piano an electronic piano or is it Henke's modern style?
Bruyninckx gives same incorrect info as Lord, and is an expansion of Jepsen
who also spells "Cooky...".

Han Enderman
===
>>> Does anyone have these sessions? Are they in the Reginald Foresythe or
Alec Wilder mould? Some years ago I purchased a Tempo LP which I
mistakenly believed contained these titles, but they turned out to be
more recent material of Henke as a soloist.

Mel Henke And His Orchestra:
Jimmy Briggs (fl) Gordon Schoenberg (oboe,fhr) Mel Henke (p) Pete
DiMaggio (b) Billy Marcus (d)
Los Angeles, 1948
UR153438    I surrender dear    Tempo 442
UR153439    Dance of the cave men         -
UR153440    Shock treatment          444
UR153441    I can't believe that you're in love with me         -

Los Angeles, 1949
UR143728    Pennies from Heaven    Tempo 446
UR143729    Cooky cuckoo clock         -
UR143730    Frenzied flight          468
UR143731    In a little Spanish town         -

Lord 10.0 lists the full group for both sessions, but I have 468, which
is only by piano, bass & drums.

      Julian Vein
<<<