[78-L] Let's batter the little bitty bidder!

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Mon Jan 18 19:31:11 PST 2010

Sometimes a record will come on that I MUST HAVE, but is not necessarily a collector's item. The record might be worth $15 tops, but I would risk paying over $100 just to guarantee that I will get it. So, like Mike says, I hold back my bid until the last 20 seconds or so, then put in a massive bid, knowing nobody will ever top me. A sign of this is if there are no bids on the item until the last 30 seconds. A collector's item will systematically get bids throughout the week, but an item of marginal attraction might not. Usually there is time for one person to get in a bid against me, but I'm comfortable in knowing I will win. At the end of the auction, I win the item for about $15-$25 at the most, even though my monster bid was something like $222.22. What frustrates me is I would love to give the losing 2nd place winner a "nyah, nyah-nyah, nyah, nyah!" But eBay hides the identities of buyers now, a practice which I actually like.

Another good use of eBay, although I haven't done it often, is to determine the value of a record you own. It will cost you a few bucks - enough to put an impossibly high reserve on it - this was back in the day when there was a flat fee for a reserve price. Now it's based on a sliding scale, the rats. I had a very rare test pressing and wanted to know how much it might fetch. So I put it on with a minimum bid of $9.99 but a reserve of $50,000. Boy, were people getting pissed. Bid after bid would come in and the bidding got up to around $600. People were E-mailing me, trying to get me to tell them what the reserve was, but I never gave in. I think it topped out at around $750.

Cary Ginell