[78-L] Re; Little bitty bids and bidders

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Jan 18 18:40:16 PST 2010

From: Ken Matheson <kenmath at yahoo.com>
> It takes some skill and an atomic clock to snipe.

No it doesn't.  First of all, eBray now gives a running countdown during
the final hour of the auction.  But more to the point, it only takes a
minimum of 25 cents and a subscription to an automatic sniping service.

> Sniping or waiting for the last minute has it’s drawbacks too.
> Many times I forget to go to the computer and miss it.

That's why you are supposed to use the automatic sniping services.

> Also if I am out bid in the last few seconds I don’ get a chance to change my mind and bid higher.

Changing your mind and getting caught up in the heat of battle and
bidding higher is what automatic sniping avoids.  Like Taylor says, put
in the high bid you are willing to pay, don't keep bidding just because
someone else also wants it.

> On thing about early bids. I put in a bid and someone bids higher.
> Then I bid, then he bids. I get angry and run him up to teach him
> a lesson, well it ends up me getting taught a lesson. I get stuck
> with paying more for something I really don’t need.

That is why I NEVER bid early.  NEVER.  Don't get into bidding wars.
There are times when either Leah or I say that we're not gonna let that
guy get this for 99 cents and teach him a lesson. We put in a snipe that
we know is just lower than the guy's high bid because sometimes we have
figured out the bidder's technique.  But we also do use it to win --
sometimes for one cent if we are feeling really, really nasty!  If in a
series of items we see this guy's early bids on all the items are $3.00
(because we or someone else outbid him and reveal his bids) we sometimes
snipe at $3.01.  C'mon folks, this can sometimes be FUN!  When people
put in early bids, it reveals their technique.  When you snipe, they
don't know you are there.

Mike (aren't we devils) Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com