[78-L] Transcription differences

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Mon Jan 18 07:22:05 PST 2010

Based on a rather limited group of Standard Program Library label images:
1. Early issues have PMS mxs on labels.
2. Then YTH mxs appear.
3. SRR mxs only on late issues.

I see SRR-1663 on X-276 & SRR-1724/25 on Z-246.
Z-189 has YTH-1030 (Freddy Martin).

There are several label variants, but it is difficult to give a chronological order.
Earlier labels state "Orthacoustic Transcription"; later ones "Electrical ...".
Z-121 by Frank Traumbauer (sic) has Start Inside (and omits orthacoustic),
but Z-142 and all others state Outside.

Can someone explain the prefixes?
I have P, Q, R, T, U & Z for rather similar music.
At first I even assumed there was a single numerical series, starting with K-100,
but Q-220 and Z-220 have different contents.
Teagarden is (on available images) on: P-177, P-188, Z-192, Z-195, Z-201.

Han Enderman
===
>>> I have two copies of Standard Z-192, Jack Teagarden.
The labels are visibly different in type face, the matrix numbers are
different, and the timings are different (by a couple of seconds, and not
always in the same direction). By different matrix numbers I don't mean take
numbers or other clues to indicate that one is a dub..completely different
numbers and series! YTH 1063/4 on one copy and SRR 2502/3 on the other. And the
SRR issue (a lighter, more flexible and probably later pressing) sounds
terrible, squeezed.

The "better" copy isn't always the better copy!
dl
---
So-o-o are the YTH mxs. Columbia products while the SRR are later in-house products?
DJD
---
Could RCA have pressed Columbia masters? The YTH matrix numbers are hand
written, not machine stamped, and the disc feels like an RCA pressing. The
labels are identical to those on P156, which has PMS-0xxxxx matrix numbers
(which are also hand written). Columbia transcriptions are heavier, no? The SSR
issue is much lighter.

Matter of fact, EVERY matrix number on the 5 discs I have here is hand written,
whether it's an RCA or Columbia number. I guess Jackson's discs must have been
popular and gone through a few dubs and reissues.
dl
<<<