[78-L] playing "Victrolac" records

marc van Bemmel marcvanbemmel at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 16 13:02:19 PST 2010

Hi,

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions regarding dewarping. I will try when I find the time to do it. But first I need to find some suitable glass or have it cut on the size I want.

I have another question: I have just bought a bunch of 16 inch radio transcription discs (33 1/3 rpm), "RCA Victrolac" with recordings form the "General motors symphony orchestra" from around 1936. They look a bit like the German "Decelith" records and seem to be very soft (but fortunately they do not smell so badly". I would like to know how these records can be played safely. I have a Grado 78C cartridge (.3 mil I think), a Shure M78S (with .25 mil) and an older Shure with a .3 mil needle. I am a bit afraid that I will "scrape" the records and damage them.

all the best,

Marc