[78-L] Columbia sets (was: Bessie Smith album)

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Jan 16 09:30:48 PST 2010

From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> One of my sets of Air Raid has sides 1 & 2 with gold labels
> (like the Mercury sets), Columbia Full Range Recording.
> No album number on it, but disc # is 69353-D, same as on
> CBS labels in C-5. "Sold in complete sets only."

I wonder if this might be a label for the limited autographed edition
C-4?  I hope to see what is in R&H this week.  I should also look thru
the Rigler Deutsch label picture films.  If I can't find something like
it, I will probably need a color scan.  Do any of your sets have a
number on the spine?

> ME-23 isn't even listed under Welles or Mercury Theater in the
> October 1940 catalog, nor in Rust, although his listings of the
> Welles recordings in CED2 are totally wrong.

I got my photo of the page in the numerical showing it.  Sample Excerpts
from "Twelfth Night" and Sample Excerpts from "Merchant of Venice".  The
page isn't dated, so I suppose it was in the original printing of the
loose leaf numerical.  But it is late enough to include C-33, and only
includes the ME series here.

> Somewhere I found a note that C-33 (Macbeth) was "to be
> released November 1940" according to David Hall.  dl

It is reviewed in the Dec issue of H.Royer Smith The New Records with a
note their sample album did not have the booklet.  I need to check back
on the Columbia ads in each issue of ARG.  I had expected to find
monthly supplements so did not photograph each ad.