[78-L] Bessie Smith album

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 16 07:52:03 PST 2010

Re the South American recordings, are you thinking of the Brazilian music
recorded when Stokowski was down there? There are definitely unissued
recordings among them, and supposedly lost, according to an article that
appeared on one of these lists last year.

I've never seen ME 23..didn't know it existed. All the Mercury Theater
Shakespeare sets were renumbered in the MM series (in the 700s I think) in the
late 40s. "Julius Caesar" was the only one to make it to LP..that set is seen
in the I Love Lucy episode where Orson is a guest. (I did all of those sets as
well as the abridged Julius for Pearl some years ago.)

Is "Air Raid" actually taken from the CBS broadcast? It runs well over 30
minutes, has no announcements, no cast list (unless anyone has seen a booklet
for it), and about the only voice I've ever recognized is Frank Gallop. Ray
Collins seems to be the only other name turning up on internet searches.

dl