[78-L] dewarping 78s

Alexandre Benoit pathe90rpm at yahoo.fr
Sat Jan 16 03:23:51 PST 2010

I have a thick marble plate, about 1 inch (2.5cm). It's a marble plate for serving cheese, actually.
I put it in my oven at about 80 degrees Celsius (has to be controlled by thermometer!),
and I leave it there for half an hour to gather up heat. (Don't trust the temperature setting for your oven!)

Then I take the rceord out, put it on the marbel and wait a couple of minutes. Next I turn
the record around and wait again until I can feel that it has softened a bit.
This is the moment when you have to watch the record closely. Because it should
not get too soft, and it should also get perfectly flat. So I take the record off the marble
plate and put it on the work surface in the kitchen, which is cold, of course. There, the
disc can harden slowly.

You may put something on the disc to assure that it stays flat until hardened, because
some dished records have the tendency to 'warp' back into the original state while cooling
down!
Works perfectly, also for aligning the hair line cracks of 78s so as to eliminate the ticks!

Alex