[78-L] One's taste in music is similar to taste in tooth paste. You can't argue about it.

fnarf at comcast.net fnarf at comcast.net
Thu Jan 14 21:40:51 PST 2010

It's pretty clear to me that you're both right.

>From my perspective, by the time rock'n'roll had become popular, it had lost most of its juice; I really can't think of a circumstance where I'd want to hear "Rock Around The Clock" or "All Shook Up" again, whereas the earlier stuff, that never came near the charts, that Gene is talking about -- what I would probably call "proto-rock" just to keep it straight -- is an endlessly fascinating mine of gold.

Maybe that's just because it's unfamiliar to me. A huge amount of proto-rock was never heard by ANYBODY except denizens of Chicago juke joints in the late forties and early fifties, and wasn't "discovered" until decades later, ironically in part because it was on 78s and not rock-historian-friendly 45s. That's one of the things that's cool about it.

But in terms of rocking the charts, or influencing faraway listeners like the Beatles (who thought stuff like the Everlys was exotic and unheard-of), Cary's right. Not for the first or the last time, the really groovy stuff wasn't in the charts. Culture moves in multiple streams, all at the same time.