[78-L] Beethoven's 7th

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Thu Jan 14 19:57:37 PST 2010

My apologies, I was wrong!

I don't think I've put these discs on the turntable for at least 35 years but you folks were right - there are lots of revs before the music starts on each side.  As far as it being a continuous performance hot-swapped on the side changes, each side ends with a clean dying away of the ambience, particularly side 1 where, I believe, the next entry would have occurred during that reverberation and at the end of side 7, (the middle of the third movement), the note is held too long and the instruments don't cut off together so I doubt if they didn't stop there.  However, at the beginning of side 10, (the middle of the fourth movement), there is just a hint of what sounds like the end of the reverberation of the previous note.  Perhaps AT told the producer that he couldn't start there and had to play the previous bar so they let him do that before they turned on the mikes.  All speculation of course.

db