[78-L] Postage crisis ??

Matthew Duncan recordgeek334578 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 14 04:10:28 PST 2010

John,

I have had no real problems putting in my ebay adverts that postage is extra - I usually give a quote for UK (as I am UK based) and estimates for elsewhere.  I have also allowed UK p&p to be free but then added the non-UK info in the listing.

I recently sold a job lot of 78s offered as free p&p to UK and more elsewhere. I gave a rough estimate for Europe and USA and gave the opportunity as always for potential buyers to ask for a quote and I would get one.  I thought they'd sell to the UK so this probably wouldn't be needed.  They sold to a US based bidder, the postage was higher than my estimate, the buyer did not ask for a quote, then proceeded to pay promptly for the records and postage as normal.

The only issue I had was with a large lot of 45s...a non UK bidder complained that the shipping was too high after he won the records even though my estimate of $80+ was pretty accurate...he said he hadn't read the listing...but this is not anything due directly to ebay's new policy I don't think...there are many misunderstandings on ebay...

I use ebay to buy records and understand the postage and shipping policies and allow for these extra costs when bidding and use ebay also for selling duplicates or unwanted items from my collection that I start at a minimal price as I just want to get rid of them....if they don't sell separately they go in a job lot, if the job lot doesn't sell I donate them to charity.  There are exceptions but that's pretty much my system so I don't use reserves or start items off with high starting bids etc.

I have never had a listing removed from ebay where I have put postage details/charges etc in the listing...but I don't know if I have just been lucky or not!!

I wouldn't omit postage rates from the listings I put on and then invoice buyer with a postage charge as like you say - negative feedback and hassle is likely to occur...ebay is much more centred around there own profiteering now and protecting buyers not sellers so more than ever I try to make everything clear in the listing...I mention shipping rates and details in several places in the listing to avoid problems..

I am sure others on 78-L will be able to share more info on this....

I still regard Ebay as a useful way of buying and selling items of all kinds despite their odd policies here and there..

All the best
Matthew
England