[78-L] Pop Music thgru 1955(ish)

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Jan 13 18:56:20 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron L'Herault" <lherault at bu.edu>
>I liked Doggie in the Window when it was a new song.  Of course, I was only
> 6-8 or so.  I never did like ShaBoom or Rock Around the Clock.   And we
> have
> not discussed R A T C and its relationship to "Joe Avery's Piece", a
> traditional New Orleans tune.

The really odd hit record of the mid-fifties was "Yellow Dog Blues" by Joe
Darensbourg and his Dixie Flyers. This was also the first 78 I ever bought
(I no longer have it...!) because we didn't yet have a way to play 45's. I
wasn't aware at the time that Darensbourg was a New Orleans jazz
musician...I just knew I liked the record (which I have long since replaced,
BTW)...!

Steven C. Barr