[78-L] Let's Raise a Toast (*Klink!*)

simmonssomer simmonssomer at comcast.net
Wed Jan 13 17:16:02 PST 2010

Klink was the best tenor man in the Miller reed section. Unfortunately he
couldn't sing and Beneke was a better commercial attraction.
When it came to jazz Klink was your man. (I'm not forgetting about Caceres
who was also an excellent but unused soloist in the Miller Band.
He went on to be a regular in the Condon gang.)
 Miller never gave Klink much of a chance. Sometimes a few bars with Beneke
taking over the rest of the solo opportunity and the rare
feature such as "Yes My Darling Daughter" mentioned by Taylor Bowie.
I spoke to him some ten or so years ago at a NYC saloon and told him just
that.
He said that he had a dartboard with Miller's picture on it in his bedroom
in Forest Hills, NY.
Every morning when he woke the first thing he would do is to throw five
darts at the board.
Miller has become an mythical icon but according to a lot of guys who worked
for him he was a martinet.
Klink was an intelligent and erudite chap. He went on to join the Benny
Goodman reeds and did a great deal of steady studio work
in NYC.

Al S.