[78-L] Let's Raise a Toast (*Klink!*)

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Wed Jan 13 15:16:01 PST 2010

In our recent tenor sax thread,  did anyone give a nod to Al Klink?  I've
never been one of the hipsters who would run down  Tex Beneke's playing,
but it's no question that Klink didn't get as many solo spots with Miller as
he should have.

But...one Miller Bluebird which somehow I'd missed over all the years and
recentlly discovered...Yes,  My Darling Daughter...wow!  It's that great
Jack Lawrence adaptation of some old Hungarian (?) tune,  and very tight and
kick-ass arrangement (Jerry Gray?) and a strong and very exciting tenor solo
from Mr. Klink.  I have it on a CD in the car and it's one that I will
sometimes play about five times in a row...truly one of the most exciting
and driving Miller records I've heard,  with much credit going to Al Klink.

Taylor