[78-L] Dual purpose machine...

Bob Rice bobrice at snet.net
Tue Jan 12 21:56:50 PST 2010

  Wire Recorder? Remember the "Tele-Magnet" I THINK it was called? Answering
machine? As big as a suitcase your Big Old Black Bell Telephone, which EVERY
home had back in the 50'sWould be put on this beast, when the fone rang the
thing after 4 rings the turntable with a record on it would start, It played
into a speaker right under the voice enf of the handset,which was lifted up
enough to pick up the fone, It wouuld give the Pre Recorded message, from
the record, pause and IF you spoke the Wire Recorder would record what you
said, and shut down when YOU did. It could hold a buncha messages on the
Wilcox gay Real of wire.Of COURSE the wire broke and I just "Spliced" it
together , by tying a knot in it! Strands of this fine wire would get
EVERYwhere! A fun to me, in my deformative years was to wrap a few turns of
it around regular 120 volt plugs, and leave them unplugged. Anybody would
see"Oh, it's unplugged!" and plug the devise in with a wonderful FLASH!Ha
Ha! Like my sister's radio, or lamp!Of course the wire was vaporized! A big
blue flash ensuid, vaporising all evidences of a wire! Great fun! The Tele
Masgnet had a mike, too, so you could make recordings on the wire reeel.
Lots of fun, I took it apart and made a plain wire recorder out of it! Gees!
A machine that takes and makes music when you listen?In 1953 it was a hoot!
We had hours of fun, doing sounnd effects and skits! THEN the Big Box Webcor
TAPE recorders started appearing, you could set a mike in front of yur
Philco radio and capture songs you liked, for Free!"QUIET!" I'm recording
was the norm!Setting the mike by a tin waste basket and dropping a few rocks
in, for a Skit-type Plane Crash!Piece of cardboard stuck in a running
electric fan for a prop plane sound! Lottsa fun! Oh the memories?

   Bob