[78-L] Funny town names...

Marie Lamb marie.lamb at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 21:26:20 PST 2010

Also in Upstate New York, there is a suburb of Rochester that is spelled
"Chili" but is pronounced "CHY-ly."  We have a "VY-enna" and "New BER-lin"
in New York state, too, along with Westmoreland, which is pronounced with
the accent on the final syllable, not like the name of the late general.
And we can't forget Palestine (pronounced PAL-es-teen), Texas!
Marie Lamb

--
I think you have everything you need.  If not, you'll just have to fake
it.--Don Dolloff, WCNY Classic FM, 2002.

Never a dull moment; if there is one, chances are I'm not around.--Marie
Lamb, WAER Jazz 88, 2002

It's not true that I had nothing on.  I had the radio on.--Marilyn Monroe

The moment you say "Please, give me a reason for this,"
you are being impossible and temperamental.--Montserrat
Caballé.