[78-L] T.A.C. Records

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Jan 10 20:31:58 PST 2010

TAC 2 was Beatrice Kay on one side and Tony Kraber on t'other..both TAC 1 & 2
are listed in Jack Raymond's book as original cast recordings from "Cabaret
TAC". Theme was a late 40s label that reissued Keynote originals, on vinyls
(but from poor dubs). "No For An Answer" may have been Theme's only LP issue
(certainly the only one I've ever seen). There was also the Music Room
International label which had "6 Songs for Democracy" and a couple of other
issues, one of them (strangely) a British dance band, as I recall. Theme was
also a label that issued Joe Venuti records, possibly changing its name to
Tempo or possibly being a part of the same stable at the same time.

Speaking of Keynote, yesterday I was in a used book store just outside of
Toronto and noticed a few albums on the counter. One of them was "Talking
Union", which I naturally checked..one wrong record (Mene Mene Tekel, from Pins
& Needles) and one Almanac disc, "Which Side". "I got two copies of this
album", said I. When I checked them last night, I found that one was missing
that disc and the other had it but with a crack. So I guess I'll be heading
back to that used book store just outside of Toronto.

Both "Joe Hill" and "Abraham Lincoln" were also recorded by Earl Robinson, on
Timely. With art work on the labels. Incidentally, my copy of TAC-1 doesn't
have any reference to "Modern". Yellow and blue label (something in the back of
my memory recalls a red label, but that could be the THEME reissue). Very light
pressing, almost feels like vinyl but I'm not going to try bending it.

dl

Steve Shapiro wrote:
> Abe Lincoln / Joe Hill was reissued several times.  Besides Keynote and T.A.C., it was issued on Theme Records (what was that company?) with the same mx as the T.A.C.  I may also have this on another record with gray label, but don't remember.  The T.A.C. record is not very common, but not so rare either.  Some years back I checked the quotation from Lincoln's first inaugural address in one of Sandburg's books.  It doesn't quite match with what Loring sings in the chorus.  " This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it.  [Insert Hayes/Robinson line here.]  Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it."  WARNING:  Don't try doing this without obtaining an attorney's counsel.  Just because Lincoln said this in 1861 and Loring sang this in a song 75 years later doesn't make this legal.  Look what happened to Jefferson
 Da