[78-L] T.A.C. Records

Steve Shapiro steveshapiro1 at juno.com
Sun Jan 10 20:11:11 PST 2010

Abe Lincoln / Joe Hill was reissued several times.  Besides Keynote and T.A.C., it was issued on Theme Records (what was that company?) with the same mx as the T.A.C.  I may also have this on another record with gray label, but don't remember.  The T.A.C. record is not very common, but not so rare either.  Some years back I checked the quotation from Lincoln's first inaugural address in one of Sandburg's books.  It doesn't quite match with what Loring sings in the chorus.  " This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it.  [Insert Hayes/Robinson line here.]  Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it."  WARNING:  Don't try doing this without obtaining an attorney's counsel.  Just because Lincoln said this in 1861 and Loring sang this in a song 75 years later doesn't make this legal.  Look what happened to Jefferson Davis.

Also on T.A.C. (writing from memory) Hazel Scott (not a great record, but were any of these great?) and June Havoc.

T.A.C. records were issued by the "Modern Record Co." "Series A"!  Wot wuz dat about?/steve