[78-L] Music Survey Recording

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Jan 10 17:48:53 PST 2010

I would guess this was another attempt to define what would later become the
"Promo record"...that is, a copy of a new release to be sent to deejays and
others who could get it "airplay!" 1946 is pretty well the first year that
the
record industry figured out that getting their new releases "broadcasted"
would result in increased sales thereof...?!

The "Survey" idea would seem to suggest that the (dj?) recipients HAD to
play the record...and possibly ask their audience THEIR opinion of the
recording...?! Keep in mind that prior to c.1946, "disc jockeys" were
pretty well on their own as to obtaining copies of hits (or "hits to be?!).

These days (and I can speak well-informed, as a volunteer "dj" on a
local web-based "radio" operation!), folks who have recordings to
sell will fall over themselves trying to get copies of their "magnum opi"
into the hands of us folks who can present it to a "public" of possible
purchasers...?!

Steven C. Barr