[78-L] transfer of acoustic vocalions & 8tracks.com for sharing

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Jan 8 21:46:25 PST 2010

From: "martha" <MLK402 at verizon.net>

Stephanie Gaynor wrote:
>> thank you! Do you think 80rpm is the right speed? martha posts
>> that they are too fast.

> In this kind of music I do not believe I would be able to tell if
> such a slight difference in speed would be correct or not.
> joe salerno

Martha's note about Billy Jones' voice on Moxie sounding too high is
absolutely correct.  And I think most of the others would sound more
natural a little slower as well.  Joe is right that instrumentals are
difficult, but I listen to the voices, and then the vibrato on the
instruments.

What most of us have been finding over the years that when the companies
said they recorded at 80--like Columbia--they actually recorded at 78.
When they said they recorded at 78--like Victor--they recorded at 76.
Rarely did they record faster than they said they did.

Edison's are usually correct at 80 with cylinders at 160, but Joe
Pengelly did a report on a late Edison recording which had originated on
lateral disc, and was also issued on Diamond Disc and Blue Amberol.  He
spent YEARS searching for this trio of records!!!  He found that none of
the three would sync with the other two at the advertised speeds, so we
might not be able to even trust Edison!

And the photos are also great!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com