[78-L] Beethoven's seventh

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Jan 10 14:27:39 PST 2010

I will admit to never having attempted a transfer of the Toscanini Beethoven
7th from 78s because to me, the Camden LP sounded perfect. It still does. Not
LCT, Not Victrola. Next time I see my dad's old copy of the 7th (which is in
storage) I'll get it out, but I certainly recall long silences at the starts of
most sides.

You also have the abrupt side switches in the 1939 Beethoven 5th and the
William Tell Overture. They're much better accomplished, and you have to be
listening for them, but fragments of notes are at the beginning of a few of the
sides.

And Michael S is an (unprintable). Always was.

dl