[78-L] Kansas City Kitty

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Jan 10 08:25:52 PST 2010

Actually you go to Hoboken to forget Hackensack.  I grew up in the town
immediately adjacent to Hackensack, New Jersey, and I can't figure out
the meaning of that line any more than dl.  In later years Hackensack
was the location of Rudy Van Gelder's first recording studio in his
mother's living room, but at the time of the song it wouldn't have had
any musical significance.  No famous music locations such as in other
towns in Northern NJ.  It is the County Seat of Bergen County, and I
resented that because of that it showed up on maps even though my town
of Teaneck had twice the population.  But Hackensack did have two movie
theaters and we only had one.  Oh, but it is the town where I first laid
eyes on a copy of Record Research!!!!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com