[78-L] Fw: [post-war-blues] Mask Man and The Agents

eugene hayhoe jazzme48912 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 10 06:32:00 PST 2010

FYI for the R&B fans on the list - Gene

--- On Sun, 1/10/10, tmcardle1960 <tmcardle1960 at yahoo.com> wrote:

From: tmcardle1960 <tmcardle1960 at yahoo.com>
Subject: [post-war-blues] Mask Man and The Agents
To: post-war-blues at yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 8:35 AM

This week I had the sad duty of filing an obituary for Harmon Bethea. I'm a big fan of the Mask Man & The Agents records which are the intersection of Coasters/Richard Berry-style doo-wop humor meet the down-home soul style of Joe Tex. (David Whiteis take note -- the album on Dynamo is classic.) He was a really funny man and I regret that I never met him nor saw him perform as gigs were few in later years and he was finally winding down by the 1990s.

His career as a lead singer in vocal groups was a long one starting with the Progressive Four, a jive groups in 1948 who also did jubilee gospel as the Corithian Singers, and then The Cap-Tans who were roughly
contemporary to Steve Gibson and The Red Caps, The Orioles, the Clovers and the Ravens.

http://www.washingt onpost.com/ wp-dyn/content/ article/2010/ 01/09/AR20100109 02146.\
html

Terence McArdle

[...]

__._,_.___

Reply to sender | Reply to group Messages in this topic (1)
Recent Activity:

Visit Your Group Start a New Topic
Other lists of interest:
pre-war-blues-subscribe at yahoogroups.com
cajun_music_recordings-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

MARKETPLACE

Going Green: Your Yahoo! Groups resource for green living

.