[78-L] From Frosty to Toscanini

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Jan 10 06:41:24 PST 2010

OK, the missing line is "Where's the spoon?"

The master for Frosty The Snowman would have been on tape..most likely they
just picked the wrong or most convenient one for reissue on LP and then kept
using it. There's also the vague possibility that an alternate take was shipped
to Canada, but I'd discount this because tape was in use by this time. We did
sometimes get alternates in the mid to late 40s on pop and jazz recordings.

As for Toscanini, we know he hated stopping and starting and his 1936 New York
Philharmonic recordings were all made by cutting abruptly from one lathe to the
next..the side breaks occur in mid-note and some sides have very long silent
portions before the music cuts in. So if they only had two lathes to run and
both were in use, they couldn't have back-up masters. If I'm not mistaken, the
second version of side 1 of the Beethoven 7th takes up much less disc surface.
Side 1 in the original runs into the label space.

dl