[78-L] Best accoustics?

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sat Jan 9 18:52:23 PST 2010

> Columbia supposedly made substantial upgrades to their acoustic recording
> system after the US operation was taken over by its once-subsidiary in the
> UK, probably in late 1923! I have seen suggestions that they continued
> issuing acoustic recordings on Harmony well into 1930...simply to try
> and make the improvements pay for themselves...!?
>
> So, the next question is, "Who had the best acoustic recordings?!"

One acoustic which stands out for me is the Green Brothers Novelty Orchestra
Okeh of Palesteena,  recorded in December of 1920.  It has an amazing,  full
sound...very  "live."    And it's really good,  too.

I'm not sure if it's my imagination,  but I think the quality of Okeh
acoustics declined somewhat as the 20s went on.

Taylor