[78-L] Acoustic/electrical recordings on same disc

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Jan 9 18:46:09 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Yeah, the acoustics are actually better. Al Jolson's "The One I Love
> Belongs to
> Somebody Else" sounds fuller than most electricals. And Columbia was doing
> some
> very fine sounding discs around 1922, like The Columbians "Pack Up Your
> Sins".

Columbia supposedly made substantial upgrades to their acoustic recording
system after the US operation was taken over by its once-subsidiary in the
UK, probably in late 1923! I have seen suggestions that they continued
issuing acoustic recordings on Harmony well into 1930...simply to try
and make the improvements pay for themselves...!?

So, the next question is, "Who had the best acoustic recordings?!"

Oddly enough, one of the contendors would have to be Arto, 1920-21!
Early Arto (et al) recordings seem to be divided betweem VERY good
and rather bad (though they probably sounded close to the same on
the acoustic players of that early era...?!).

Steven C. Barr

Steven C. Barr