[78-L] Chalking up a "borrowed" song idea (was: Kate Smith stamp)

Craig Ventresco craigventresco at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 11:54:28 PST 2010

Billy Murray (Victor) and Fred Whitehouse (Olympic?) also recorded "She
Gives Them All the Ha Ha Ha). I wouldn't call Cantor's Emerson material
 trivial....lots of classic stuff.
There is a song called "Bill Was There" from 1905 (American record) sung by
Billy Hines that has a verse about hugging/"chalking" his girlfriend. THere
must be lots of other references to this strange activity, not only in early
songs but also in period skits and comics.