[78-L] Svend Asmussen [was An AMAZING Jzz DVD by a guy you (probably) never heard of]

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Sat Jan 9 10:10:56 PST 2010

Julian Vein wrote:
> I recall reading/hearing that some Danish people, including the royal
> family,
> demonstrated against the treatment of Jews.
---
Some...
Immediately before the Danish government was dissolved in August 1943 there
was an open election - yes, during the occupation - where the democratic
parties got 94 % of the votes, the Nazi Party 2.1 %.
After August 1943 Danish fishing boats managed to bring most of the Jewish
population into safety in Sweden.
But WW II wasn't just a Jewish question. It was a huge suffering for
millions of civilians on both sides. During the entire war a few hundred
Danish soldiers were killed and a couple of hundred civilians. In 1943 a few
hundred communists were arrested and about a hundred of them were taken to
concentration camps. 22 of them died.
The real tragedy was this: at the end of the war hundreds of thousands
refugees from East Prussia, Pommern and the Baltic provinces fled over the
Baltic Sea, trying to escape the advancing Soviet Army. Most of them landed
in Denmark and were put in concentration camps. Tens of thousands of them
died, 37 000 of them in 1945 only.
Meanwhile Svend Asmussen was free to record any jazz tune he wanted,
including the ones by Gershwin and Ellington.
Back on topic, aren't we?
Kristjan