[78-L] Living in a Great Big Way

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Fri Jan 8 11:29:53 PST 2010

> Seems black plump male jazz musicians accepted the accolade of "Fats"
> (Waller, Pichon, Navarro, Domino) without any trouble. It was never
> applied to white musicians, it seems. Can only think of one white
> musician who approached that, clarinetist "Fatty" George from Germany.
>
>       Julian Vein

I recall a Glen Grey mid-40s Decca of Gotta Be This Or That,  with a vocal
by Fats Daniels.

There are some Victors from c. 1925 by Fatty Martin and his Orchestra.

There was a brilliant pianist here in Seattle active for many years by the
name of Freeman Clark,  but he was known to one and all as "Tubby" which he
had been in his younger days.

The above mentioned were all white guys.

Taylor