[78-L] Well-proportioned [was Kate Smith stamp]

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jan 8 09:08:30 PST 2010

Cary Ginell wrote:
Bailey was never as big a star on radio, television, or films as Smith
was, so most people really didn't know what she looked like. The one who
really never had jokes made about her looks was Ella. I think this was
because of the tremendous respect people had for her abilities as a jazz
singer.

Cary Ginell
==================
I don't care for Ella, but that doesn't make we want to make jokes about
her size. My recollections of her early photos doesn't show her in that
light.

Seems black plump male jazz musicians accepted the accolade of "Fats"
(Waller, Pichon, Navarro, Domino) without any trouble. It was never
applied to white musicians, it seems. Can only think of one white
musician who approached that, clarinetist "Fatty" George from Germany.

       Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4754 (20100108) __________

http://www.eset.com