[78-L] Kate Smith stamp

L78rpm at aol.com L78rpm at aol.com
Fri Jan 8 10:07:07 PST 2010

In a message dated 1/8/10 12:59:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
mbiel at mbiel.com writes:

Just  before Kate's stardom and during the era of Vaughn DeLeath, there
was a  popular song in the 20s "She Gave Them All the Ha Ha Ha" about a
lovable  "girl about 5'4" who weighs 200 pounds or more", who when the
singer hugged  her "met another fellow coming 'round the other side".
That's a line from "Huggin' And Chalkin" (1946-7).

>From 1925:

Oh, Katharina! Oh, Katharina!
To be my love you must be leaner
There's so much of you
Three could love you
Learn to swim! Join a gym! Eat farina!
Oh, Katharina! Unless you're leaner
I'll have to build a big arena
You're such a crowd, my Kath-er-ine
I got a lot
When I got
you.

pc

Smith lived a few blocks from my home (long before I moved to  it.)  Ted
Collins lived on the adjacent street.  His children went to  local public
schools.  Belle Baker lived around the corner.  (Also  before my time.)