[78-L] Tenor Sax Styles.

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jan 8 01:34:36 PST 2010

Dan Van Landingham wrote:
  I taught myself to play tenor sax back in late 1969 as a junior in
high school.I used Hawkins
  as my role model as well as listening to the likes of Don Byas,Webster as
  well as a few now forgotten players such as Dick Wilson of Andy Kirk's
band and Bob
  Carroll who played tenor for Don Redman in the thirties.One tenor
player I can't really
  classify was Chu Berry,whose tone struck me as being somewhere between
Hawkins
  and Lester Young whose tone I could never duplicate even though I
tried to do so.I still
  prefer Hawkins and his school over the some of the later tenorists I
also heard from the
  late thirties.I heard Georgie Auld by way of a handful of Bunny
Berigan recordings but he
  was never a favourite of mine.Charlie Barnet I got a kick out of but I
admired his arrangers
  even more so.Whatever respect Flip Phillips had was lost after that
infamous solo he took
  on "Perdido" with the JATP in the late forties.The sound Hawkins had
by 1950 left me so-
  mewhat befuddled:was he losing his lung power by then or was he just
changing his tone
  to accomodate the newer jazz fans?I cite his recordings from 1950 on
Roost as examples.
=======================
Dick Wilson, I thought, was a rather ordinary, staid player. Bob Carroll
played in a slightly "swashbuckling" way with Redman, as I recall.
Berry's uptempo and blues playing were usually excellent (his work with
Calloway and ballads rather less so). Another swashbuckler was Jack
McVea with JATP, who outclassed Illinois Jacquet, where they played
together. McVea's playing was more exciting and more musical.

Georgie Auld, Charlie Barnet and Wayne Johnson (with Bob Wills) played
in a rather old fashioned rootie-tootie way, which I have an affection for.

Flip Phillips's best work was mainly before he joined Woody Herman (with
Norvo on V-Disc). After that he became an "animal cunning" playing and
clinging too closely to the beat. A couple of other sessions where he
did play well was with the Teddy Wilson Quintet and the Norvo band, at
the Town Hall Concert, June 9, 1945. Also a session under Buddy Rich's
leadership (Verve 1957).

Never thought too much about Hawk's tone in later years, more interested
in his ability to compile long, structured solos. Listen to his Prestige
sessions, if you think he'd lost his lung power! True, his early 50s'
stuff was rather listless.

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4752 (20100107) __________

http://www.eset.com