[78-L] Acoustic/electrical recordings on same disc

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Jan 7 09:00:47 PST 2010

<l78rpm at aol.com> wrote:
>> I believe Rust listed remakes if they had been assigned
>> new matrix numbers. pc

True, but Victor usually kept the original matrix numbers if the
personnel remained the same, just upping the take number.  The
electrical Sousa Band Stars and Stripes is something like take 26 on the
original acoustical number, and isn't in the VMB2.  And in this case
there had even been conductor changes.

From: Royal Pemberton <ampex354 at gmail.com>
> I just had a look on Tyrone's site, and found the source of the earlier
> question: 19823 has the same selections as 17164, with 'Hark the
> herald....' shown as matrix BVE.11120-4 and a recording date of 16 October
> 1925 (recorded 14 years to the day after the acoustic recording) whilst
> 'Silent night' is shown with the same matrix number and recording date
> (11791-1, 26 March 1912) as for 17164.

So I assume you are saying that there needs to be a search for an
electrical recording date with an upped take number for B/BVE 11791?

> I wish I had a copy of 19823....the words Elsie Baker sings for
> 'Silent night' (at least on 17164) are a totally different
> translation I've not heard anyplace else, and I can't make
> many of the words out on the acoustic recording.

Too late.  It's after Christmas, and according to some, you are not
supposed to be listening to Christmas songs after Christmas.

Mike (just kidding) Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com