[78-L] Brunswick matrix numbers was "Country Music Sources"discrepancies

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Jan 6 20:50:04 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Stern" <sternth at attglobal.net>

> Thanks Mike -
> Unfortunately I don't have the discography, nor easy access.
> Google Books shows 1 page of the LAIRD-Brunswick discog Lunsford listing.
> They list what appear to be PAIRS of numbers for each side, e.g. AL117-18.
> CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN???  Seems unlikely they are alternate takes, or that
> these sold enough to
> have multiple takes issued...
> Does anyone have any of these disks - are these mx nos in the wax?

For much of the "78 era," Brunswick assigned different matrix numbers to
each recorded
take; discographies often show all of these numbers unless it is KNOWN which
one
was used for issue (as "12343-346" for four takes, for example). After some
point in
1926, many Brunswick records show the last two (at first) or three (later)
digits
of the matrix/ices used for issue. However...not ALL of them do!

Steven C. Barr