[78-L] Tenor Sax Styles.

Spats spats47 at ntlworld.com
Wed Jan 6 16:36:27 PST 2010

Hi!

The main thing about pre-war tenor-payers...indeed, sax-players in
general, is that they had what I call a 'fat' sound.

Lester Young started the journey toward a leaner sound which ended
with Coltrane and his imitators.

I, however, have always preferred that fat sound...Ben Webster...with
that big warm centre cushion surrounded around by a little air,
Coleman Hawkins and HIS big sound and all the people who tried to
play like them.

That's what I, at any rate, think of when I think of a 'big band' tenor player.

You know, it probably all began with a BASS sax player, that OTHER
Rollini called Adrian!

Earl.