[78-L] Victor catalog: 1st Orthophonic discs

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Jan 6 20:30:30 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cary Ginell" <soundthink at live.com>

> In case anyone is interested, I have an extra copy of the October 1926
> Victor catalog up for auction on hoo-Haa.
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120514206155&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT
> I wouldn't normally do any shameless plugging of stuff I'm selling, except
> the subject has come up fairly often about which electrical sides were
> paired with acoustic sides. This catalog designates the new electrical
> sides with an asterisk (much as Schwann did with items going out of
> print). There are no bids at the present time, but I'm sure this item will
> be of some interest to this list. Here's my description:
> This is the Victor Records catalog for October 1926. The catalog features
> the first announcement of the new electronic recording process, as stated
> in the 3-page introduction: "This record catalog is the first complete
> catalog of its records which has been issued by the Victor Company since
> the remarkable scientific discoveries which have led to the production of
> the New Victor Records (Orthophonic Recording)." Orthophonic recordings
> are indicated by an asterisk in the listings. All others are "leftover"
> acoustic recordings. Fascinating recording history document. Many Victor
> records paired acoustic with electrical recordings. This catalog will
> document all existing issues of this nature to that time.  Stamp of The
> Drener Piano Co. of Cleveland, Ohio is on the cover. Excellent condition.
> Unnumbered pages, but book is 1/8" thick.

Since I was already lucky enough to acquire a copy of this (after looking
for about two decades...cost me $15) I can
do some "plugging" here! This is probably the single hardest-to-find Victor
catalog of the 1910-on era! It stayed in
print for a very short period, being released in October and superseded the
following January by the 1927
annual catalog. I bought my copy from an "old paper" dealer who was unaware
of its scarcity, and had
several 1920's Victor catalogs, all priced at $15 each. Overpriced for all
except the 1926; UNDERpriced
for that one! Took me about 20 years to find one!

Steven C. Barr