[78-L] Victor catalog: 1st Orthophonic discs

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Wed Jan 6 11:16:39 PST 2010

In case anyone is interested, I have an extra copy of the October 1926 Victor catalog up for auction on hoo-Haa.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120514206155&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

I wouldn't normally do any shameless plugging of stuff I'm selling, except the subject has come up fairly often about which electrical sides were paired with acoustic sides. This catalog designates the new electrical sides with an asterisk (much as Schwann did with items going out of print). There are no bids at the present time, but I'm sure this item will be of some interest to this list. Here's my description:

This is the Victor Records catalog for October 1926. The catalog features the first announcement of the new electronic recording process, as stated in the 3-page introduction: "This record catalog is the first complete catalog of its records which has been issued by the Victor Company since the remarkable scientific discoveries which have led to the production of the New Victor Records (Orthophonic Recording)." Orthophonic recordings are indicated by an asterisk in the listings. All others are "leftover" acoustic recordings. Fascinating recording history document. Many Victor records paired acoustic with electrical recordings. This catalog will document all existing issues of this nature to that time.  Stamp of The Drener Piano Co. of Cleveland, Ohio is on the cover. Excellent condition. Unnumbered pages, but book is 1/8" thick.

Cary Ginell