[78-L] Tenor sax styles

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jan 6 10:38:21 PST 2010

After starting the discussion about alto sax styles, I realised that
slotting tenor sax stylists into various groups doesn't seem to work,
other than by the names of the main proponents of the particular style,
e.g. Coleman Hawkins, Lester Young and Bud Freeman (although I think
Babe Russin is more interesting).

I suppose you could stretch it by using terms like "big band" and
"honkers", but it's only the latter description which carries any real
meaning. We know what a "big band" tenor sounds like, but what musical
description would you attach to it. I have heard the expression "ride
tenor" used for it.

I am thinking in terms of pre-bop players.

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4749 (20100106) __________

http://www.eset.com