[78-L] How vinyl is produced..from a white supremacist group!

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Jan 4 21:42:03 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rodger Holtin" <rjh334578 at yahoo.com>
> And... I see he got the terminology right about "acetate" vs "lacquer" but
> I have to ask the 78-L Board of Experts about the veracity of this
> statement:
>
> "Diamond is not a
> good material for a cutting stylus, but is excellent as a reproducing
> stylus. Home cutting styli were commonly made of a steel alloy because
> it was inexpensive to manufacture but most cutting styli for
> professional use are made of corundum, better known as sapphire which
> will outlast a diamond and produce superior recordings."
>
> Diamond not as hard as sapphire? Really?
> Holy mackerel, there, Sapphire!

MOST DEFINITELY NOT! I just finally found an n8-3d Astatic diamond
needle; it will have a useful life of about six months of heavy use. Had I
settled for a n8-3s sapphire needle, I'd be lucky to get a month of heavy
use out of that needle.

Also, is "corundum" another name for the substance used for sapphire
needles?

Steven C. Barr