[78-L] Alto sax style omissions

yves francois aprestitine at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 4 08:28:41 PST 2010

Julian
Stovall would be in the same genre as Davis, Rudy Williams, Pete Brown (who I am listening to right now - alt take of Frankie Newton's "Who's Sorry Now" - celebrating Newton's 103 birthday - he is a personal hero of mine). A question for you Julian - would you put Booker Pittman in the same category as angular - most of these also drive as well. Also what about Earl Bostic and Horsecollar Williams?
Yves
PS Bennett did a bit better on tenor in 1946/7 - think he was a beginner in the late 30's - at least he improved (kind of a poor mans Edgar Saucier - another contemporary Chicago blues player IMHO)- and Jordan was (in terms of sax playing) a sort of lesser version of Pete Brown or Skeets Tolbert