[78-L] Fun Record!

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Jan 3 21:48:35 PST 2010

> "Transfusion" was a minor hit in 1956 for Jimmy Drake (aka Nervous Norvus)
> and became famous through repetitive playing on the Dr. Demento Show. Cary Ginell

I was playing it in the Chicago area several years before Demento (aka
Barrett E. Hanson) began his series.

From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Slip the claret to me, Barrett!

No wonder Barry played it!!!  I also played "Ape Call" and "Wild Dogs of
Kentucky".

> A classic. I think he recorded it in his garage.  dl

If he recorded them in his garage he probably recorded them on a
Pentron!  Although I now see a picture of him and he has an Ampex 600 at
his feet.  It must have had some bum tubes.
http://www.themadmusicarchive.com/album_details.aspx?AlbumID=7407

In the early days of the CD, in the late 80s, there was a series of 20
volumes of LPs and 10 CDs on MCA called Vintage Music that did FANTASTIC
reprocessings of early rock.  (This was the set that first had the
original session tape of Rock Around the Clock with the countdown of
"one two" before the start, and the two drumstick clicks during the
false ending just before the end.)  This series also contained a number
of these great Nervous Norvus sides and I was so eager to get these to
finally be able to get a GOOD sounding copy of these.  Nope.  The CD
sounded just as bad as the first worn 78s I had found, and the 45s too.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com