[78-L] New Cheap Turntable

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Jan 2 18:29:49 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Milan P Milovanovic" <milanpmilovanovic4 at gmail.com>
> Would this product:
> be quite satisfactory for 78 listening and transfer?
>
> It is probably Chinese OEM copy of Technics 1210, with Audiotechnica logo
> added, but it has 3 speed.
>
> Values for wow and flutter are 20 times bigger than original (0.2% WRMS -
> Audiotechnica  -  0.01% WRMS - Technics), but I can guess that these
> probably are good enough? Also, more pronounced rumble than 1210, still
> probably is the best and cheapest product one can imagine. And we can
> trust
> Audiotechnica brand, of course.

The important question here (as with ALL 21st century tts?!) is whether they
offer a 78-capable needle (probably 3 mils?!) to fit it...?! It IS (more or
less)
possible to "play" 78's using a microgroove (.1 or .07) needle...but BADLY!
Adding 78 as a speed was fairly simple; however, actually PLAYING 78's
is a horse of a different question.../!

Steven C. Barr