[78-L] 78 album covers (was Album Covers & Sleeve info) (was: Alex Steinweiss article)

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Dec 29 12:25:11 PST 2009

From: Royal Pemberton <ampex354 at gmail.com>
> I have a few early 1950s Capitol 10" LPs with the 7x7 cover art
> centred on the fronts of the sleeves, with a 'woodgrain art' slick
> around them, giving each the illusion of a picture frame.

And you hit on exactly what was different about what Capitol did
compared with RCA.  Capitol's small 7x7 was a separate paper that was
glued onto the frame slick.  What Victor did was one layer of paper.
They just put the 7x7 artwork in the middle of the larger 10x10 or 12x12
which had LP 33 and Nipper logos.

BOTH types of covers looked STUPID, and they stopped doing it after a
year or so. Capitol did occasionally combine two 78 or 10-inch albums
onto one 12-inch LP, and then they showed the pair of covers in reduced
size, and I think that was a GREAT idea!  I wish others had done that
also.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com