[78-L] Alex Steinweiss article

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Dec 28 22:36:53 PST 2009

From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>

> Faulty memory here..the Beethoven 5th does indeed have a bust o' Beethoven
> on the cover, but it is full color. It's the Brahms 1st that has Arteero
> Toscanoony on the cover and that's later.

I have several copies of the Beethoven 5th.  Are you sure it always had
this illustrated cover?  I will admit that having seen dozens of copies
of this set over the years I have NEVER seen any copy except with this
illustrated cover, most having the illustration on both the front and
the back, something that Decca also did but Columbia never (?) did.

> Gulliver's Travels and Wizard of Oz on Decca are definitely 1939 and have
> colored artwork.

I have Gulliver, but not here with me.

> So does 5 Feet of Swing.

That is A-131, right after Peter and the Wolf, A-130 which is 1940. We
need to compare release dates of these with C-11 for the sake of our
debate.  P&W includes the words on the inside front.

> Gershwin Songs just shows artists and titles.

But that is fine for this purpose since C-11 basically only does that.
Is this A-96 or 97?  These are probably like the Victor Herbert albums I
have (but not here) which are each distinctive in color and typography,
and are readable from a distance in a display in record stores.  One of
the aspects of the Steinweiss discussion is that he allowed for store
displays of covers for the first time.  Again, that is not factually
correct.

> Boys From Syracuse has b&w photographs of the Broadway production
> on the front..nice one.

This is A-33 and is very early, much before Steinweiss.

> Ballad For Americans has a bluish cover (as I recall) and
> an inset photo of Robeson (as I recall).  dl

Also has recording session photos and some narration on inside front and
inside rear.  We know it's general release date due to the Time magazine
and NY Daily News items.  But what is the release date of C-11?

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com