[78-L] Alex Steinweiss article

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Dec 28 00:09:26 PST 2009

I've just submitted this comment to the on-line comments section of this
article using my name, not a handle.  No comments have been posted yet,
so this might be the first IF it gets approved.  If Cary has written
directly to her, that should be the confirmation of what I have
submitted.  If others of you do likewise, that will help.  If this does
not appear, you all have been notified that it had been submitted.

"Once again the myth that before Steinweiss records were  packed in
plain brown wrappers has been bought hook, line, and sinker by a writer
who is not a record collector, and has not done independent research in
an archive or collection.  By the time Steinweiss was hired by the newly
reorganized Columbia in 1940, Decca Records had a six year history with
their series of 200 albums with illustrated covers, often with
photographic inside-covers and booklets with extensive notes.   There is
a heritage of illustrated album covers dating back before 1910.
Descriptive written notes appeared with all Edison cylinders and discs
starting in 1912.  Steinweiss is an inventive and imaginative
illustrator and artist, but he did not invent the concept of illustrated
record album covers, he merely convinced HIS company to start competing
with Decca's six year-old series of  illustrated covers.   His first
cover (C-11 by Richard Rodgers)  was not THE first illustrated cover, it
was only HIS first illustrated cover, and the first for the newly
reorganized Columbia."

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com