[78-L] Words on records

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Dec 27 19:22:41 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cary Ginell" <soundthink at live.com>
> I recently came across a catalog dating from April 1927 titled "Victor
> Records of Historical and Personal Interest." Has anyone seen this? It's
> 96 pages long, and in the introduction, it mentions that the titles in the
> catalog were ones "restored to the public by the public's own demand." It
> consists of acoustic recordings of historical or otherwise interest that
> have been brought back from discontinued status. It's quite a fascinating
> list. Some include 19 Uncle Josh monologues by Cal Stewart, 5 versions of
> "Old Black Joe," selections from opera, solo instrumentals, the Victor
> Band, and many more.

Haven't seen it...don't own a copy...wish I DID!

My guess is that this item was distributed to "set at ease" rumours that
Victor
was planning to delete ALL their non-VE (acoustic) records...?! Of course,
ALL their Caruso recordings survived, as did at least one Dalhart side
(which
kept its original catalog number...!). Cal Stewart, of course, was somewhat
dead, and thus couldn't remake his selling-well "Uncle Josh" sides; however,
it would be interesting to see a list of other sides Victor decided NOT to
re-record electrically...?!

I wonder if Victor (like Columbia, who kept recording their "bargain"
Harmony records acoustically into mid-1930...!) figured out that a
goodly part of its record customers still used old acoustic players
(on which electric recordings sounded bad!)...?!

Steven C. Barr