[78-L] Words on records

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Dec 26 19:22:35 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Royal Pemberton" <ampex354 at gmail.com>
>> Can anyone tell me what years the words “Needle Cut” appeared on Pathe
>> records, “Orthophonic Recording” appeared on Victor, and “Viva-tonal” and
>> “Electrical Process” appeared on Columbia?
>> Thanks.

"Needle Cut" appeared on Pathe ACTUELLE records from their c.1925 debut
until the c.1930 demise of the label (it was a re-wording of "lateral
process,"
just like MOST records!"). "Orthophonic Recording" appeared on US
Victors from fall 1926 onward; here in Canada, where Compo had been
recording electrically since January 1925, (HMV) Victor discs bore "VE
Process" for the first year or so of their issue!

For Columbia, the so-called "Viva-Tonal" label first appeared around
January,
1925...a month or two before Columbia issued its first electric recordings.
The result is that both the gold-on-black label and the 14xxxx matrix series
first appeared a month or two before electric "Viva-Tonal" recordings...so
collectors tend to assume both new label format and new matrix series
indicate electric recordings...?!

Steven C. Barr