[78-L] Ayler & The Answer (was: M. makes the world safe)^

eugene hayhoe jazzme48912 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 26 18:20:35 PST 2009

Mike -

Sorry I didn't have the chance to get back to this til now, as 'tis the season...; I applaud your openmindedness and willingness to check out Ayler & hope you consider it worth your time, again, kudos. Personally, I enjoy checking out new, unfamiliar things; hope you didn't feel hectored into it, as I certainly wasn't trying to do that. I've never assumed that because I like James P. Johnson I can't like John Cage or Roland Kirk. Sometimes I feel like hearing Duke, sometimes Trane, sometimes Polk Miller or the Dixie Hummingbirds or Blind Lemon Jefferson, the multiple player pianos of Nancarrow and sometimes Hendrix or the 3 electric guitar bands of Miles Davis' mid '70s period, etc.

Never do I long to hear Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra & their successors and predecessors; but there's still plenty of music from the 78 era I'm interested in. I don't think I'm at all escapist or psuedo-nostalgic about it (can you spell PHC?); I'm sure I'd be considered even more of a freak in that early 20th society than I am in this one (I won't bore anyone with the details of why I say this, I'm not withholding anything lurid or particularly interesting).

You only listen to those who sing in English?

As for Albert Ayler: Your religious references may be not be far off - it is my understanding that Ayler did view his music as prayer as the titles suggest. I haven't a clue about his theology, but given that a belief in the process of playing music is the only religious belief I'll stand behind, I relate to the idea of music as prayer. The childlike aspect of Ayler is generally one of the first things noted by people, the sing-songy theme and variation.  Also, I've heard Eastern European 'folk' double reed players who sound eerily like Ayler.

Funny to me that you comment about liking Albert better, as I think that it's accurate to say that Trane was moving closer to Albert's concept in the last couple of years of his life, playing from an emotional place rather than a notes in a chord orientation (and he spoke of the 'sheets of sound' as if he apparently thought 'how can I know which notes of the chord to play unless I can play all of them,' a perfectly logical  idea).

Ayler's story is essentially a sad one, and it is my suspicion that he would have been more financially successful if he had been a house painter or something, which makes me sad, because his music has given me strength and pleasure since I was a teenager.
It is also my impression that he was a very sincere person, who felt bad about leading his trumpeter brother Donald into a go nowhere musical career where they were unable to support themselves because of the kind of music they played.

Perhaps because I came to it all at once, hearing for the first time in the same year or so (c.'68-'69) Jimi Hendrix, Sun Ra, Albert Ayler, Muddy Waters, B.B. King, Bessie Smith, Big Joe Williams, Son House (and many others), I didn't have much preconception because it was all new and alien to me at the same time, whether contemporary or from the 1920s.

Gene

P.S. - Regarding Cecil Taylor - he has a long history of interest in and association with professional dancers, so his style has't been an impediment to working with people in that field.